Mike the Boilerman -
Your Gas Safe Registered boiler
and central heating repair technician in west Berkshire. Willing to travel :)
Search my site
If your boiler has broken down contact me for free help and advice by phone or text. I can arrange to visit and repair if necessary.
I am however declining non-urgent gas work such as annual servicing for now, to minimise infection risk from unnecessary contact with the Great British Public! Hope you understand.
Last updated 22/5/20.
It is important to me and probably to you, to minimise the risks of virus transmission during a visit, so this page explains the measures I take:
Firstly, I have reduced the number of house calls I make in the first place by not carrying out non-urgent visits. In general I am delaying annual servicing and gas safety inspections until later in the year when hopefully the situation becomes clearer and better controlled.
Secondly if I can help you on the phone to resolve a problem, I’m happy to do so. Not all breakdowns turn out to be gas-related and some people are very technically skilled in their own fields of expertise, so with some guidance on the phone or by text I am finding I can help certain people trace and fix their own heating faults. Phone conversations, video conversations, WhatsApp or text and photo-swapping can all help guide people to achieving a solution.
Thirdly if you arrange a visit, I’ll take the following basic precautions:
1) I carry alcohol-based hand cleaner in my van which I’ll use before entering your house.
2) I’ll wear disposable gloves where practical during the visit, and a face mask.
3) I won’t offer to shake hands with you.
4) I shall maintain social distancing as much as practical and expect you to do the same.
5) If you are self-isolating, quarantining or medically “at risk” I’ll expect you to retire to another room rather than watch me working. You’ll probably intend to do this anyway.
6) For payment, I’ll ask you to call out your debit card number and I’ll enter the number into my card reader myself, so you don’t have to touch my card machine buttons which many other people will have touched.
7) I can photograph your invoice/receipt and send it by text or if you prefer me not to hand you the paper original, which I will have touched.
A few of these measures may seem unnecessary to some customers, but others are appreciative that I take reduction of the chances of virus transmission seriously. If there is anything else you would like me to do during a visit to reduce chances of transmission, please let me know and I’ll happily oblige.
Copyright Michael Bryant 2020
Site first published 16th January 2004
Updated 22nd May 2020
Gas Safe Register 197499, CIPHE registration number 56207