Portrait photo of Mike Bryant, AKA Mike the Boilerman

Mike the Boilerman -

Your Gas Safe Registered boiler 

and central heating repair technician in west Berkshire. Willing to travel :)



I am still carrying out house visits. Full details explained


(Last updated 21st April 2021)

Plumber or Heating Engineer...?

Decades ago the plumber dealt with all central heating because it is water in pipes. These days central heating skills have become rather specialised and the ability to deal with gas and electricity are just as essential for heating as water. This mean the trade of 'Heating Engineer' is in the process of separating from that of 'Plumber'.

Because this separation process hasn't finished and there is no consensus on which work should be done by which trade, problems can be crop up for the member of the public who calls a plumber to carry out some central heating work. I'll write more on this over the next few days but to be clear, you should really ask a heating engineer to do anything to do with central heating not a plumber. Some tradesmen are fully competent in both areas but they are rare. The expertises are definitely different these days and you should be aware.

Gas Safe Register Logo 2

Copyright Michael Bryant 2021

Site first published 16th January 2004

Last updated 26th April 2021

Gas Safe Register 197499, CIPHE registration number 56207

Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering logo 2

This website makes use of cookies. Please see my privacy policy for details.